Thursday, June 24, 2021

Compassion

 Greetings,

I can't believe so much time has gone by since I last posted.  Since February, Mr. Bookcharmer and I have both been vaccinated, as have many friends and family.  The sense of relief took a while to sink in, for the possibly of "normal" to become palpable.  For some reason, taking my trusty little Subaru for a tune up at the dealer was what flipped the normalcy switch for me.  Although the indoor waiting room there is still closed, and I waited with the rest of the patrons in a nice outdoor seating area, all of us masked, the edgy caution and desire for a Silkwood style scrub down after interacting with the public was blessedly not present.  My oil is changed, my sense of it to be ok to be out in the community is changed too.

There is still a lot to be deeply concerned about, but I wanted to take the time to note how seeing an act of compassion has given me not just hope but the realization that acts of compassion are powerful.  I'm talking about the joyful Dr. Jill Biden, our current FLOTUS.  This good woman is out on a "vaccine tour", visiting places across the country where the vaccination rates are dangerously low.  And she is not just turning in a pro forma appearance, no.  The support and compassion she is bringing to individuals is truly heartening.

The image that first caught my eye is here:  https://twitter.com/nick_ramsey/status/1407507608496443400

Hopefully that twitter link will hold up over time.  But if it doesn't or you don't feel like clicking, I'll do my best here to describe it.  The photo is credited to Tom Brenner/reuters. Our FLOTUS, dressed to the nines as usual in a cute outfit, holds the hand of a black male teenager.  With her other hand, she protectively shields his sight from the vaccine syringe, her fingers gently placed on his temple.  The way she leans over to him, her hands simultaneously comforting and protecting, gives me tears of relief and pride.  The young man getting the vaccine has closed his eyes and holds her hand. People have been terrorized into fearing this vaccine, immoral news outlets and sick individuals barking fear and outright lies.  To see Dr. Jill Biden, fearless and fashionable, supporting individuals through their reluctance or concerns, fills my heart and gives me strength.  In the photos I've seen, she's not looking at the camera--she's looking at the person getting the vaccine, or her head is turned away from the camera so all you see is her signature blond hair as she focuses on who is in front of her.  

I'm crying again as I think about how many people needlessly died, or survived with serious lingering health problems, tears of anger about how many people have been lied to, unable to process scientific information and discern truth from bullshit because of our inadequate education system.  But also tears of relief that someone like Dr. Jill Biden can empower the rest of us with acts of kindness and love.  

Some days it is hard to believe in love.  Especially after four years of the country's leadership being hate speech and denials of truth, of film after film of people being killed in the streets by police.  Dr. FLOTUS Biden doesn't just say the words of love, or wear them on her back, she shows up and delivers it.  So thank you, dear FLOTUS Biden, for also comforting me and making me feel better, and reminding me that just being present for someone is a powerful act.

Onward.  There are library collections to tend and book requests to fulfill.  And since I haven't told you yet, seeing kids coming back into the library with their caregivers and everybody leaving with armloads, strollers, or wagons of books and movies, is truly marvelous.  I'm happy to tell you my library is open.  

Your vaccinated Bookcharmer



No comments: