Wednesday, July 4, 2018

JulyFourth

Fourth of July, July 4th.

Hello, Reader.  I know, it's been awhile.  But every time I think I have a handle on how I want to say what I want to tell you, something else horrible happens and I have to think about that, and so on since March.

Not even a recap, but:

Hurricane Maria and power still out in many parts of Puerto Rico
Volcano in Hawaii
The wretched "leadership" of Republicans like McConnell, Sessions, and 45
And now Justice Kennedy retiring

But most wrenching of all are the reports of families being separated at points of entry to the United States because the current administration has made it impossible to apply for asylum.  In the "this is not who we are but it is happening" part of news, this is where my brain begins to short circuit into anger. 

Mr. B and I have donated to the following groups and I urge you to donate to them as well.  If donating is not in your budget, then donate your voice and energy and attention.  Here are the groups:

RAICES Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
https://www.raicestexas.org/

Women's Refugee Commission https://www.womensrefugeecommission.org/

Check on their webpages every day and post, retweet, and use your personal and media connections to support their work. 

I want to recognize my own Congresswoman Anna Eshoo for traveling to Texas to examine the situation personally.  This is what many of our elected representative should also be doing to see the consequences of the decisions of the current administration. 

It is easier to let one's brain persevate on the frustrating things happening nationally so while letting one part of my brain react to the news, I'm cultivating the other part that can boost good news, support progressive campaigns, and attempt to stay balanced.

Good news:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez https://ocasio2018.com/  So exciting to see someone with her candor and energy!

Poet Kwame Alexander  https://kwamealexander.com/  Check out his website for the fantastic work he is doing and prepare to anticipate his next work(s).

Sister District.  I'm fully on board with the strategy of supporting candidates in other states that will help build a national coalition of elected officials that give a damn about the environment, health care, and equal rights.  C'mon check it out:  https://www.sisterdistrict.com/

So, that's my fourth of July message.  Know, be aware of the bad stuff and dig down into the good to make things better.  In order to form a more perfect union. 

No comments: