Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A nice segueway--bibliographies vs. subject headings

You might recall the bookcharmer was recently stamping her pretty little foot about the inherent problems in assigning subject headings to works of fiction. However, she is happy to write a more cheerful post about the appropriate way to collate works of fiction that share a theme: bibliography!

Here's a list of titles I think could easily while away my summer:

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/rushfield/conservation-fiction/

Yes, an entire list of books about conservation of books, paper, artwork. A few that caught my eye:

Forbes, Leslie
Waking Raphael
Bantam, June 29, 2004 448 p.
Charlotte, a paintings conservator visits the Italian city of Urbino to take part in a documentary about Raphael. One of his paintings is damaged in an attack by a woman and Charlotte oversees the conservation process. Contains some great descriptions of "conservators" thinking and observations on self perception and the perception of others about the conservation process.

And in the young adult category:

Funke, Cornelia
Inkheart.
2003.
In this fantasy for older children, 12 year old Maggie and her father Mo, a book conservator, travel the countryside repairing books. One night, Dustfinger, a character from a book who Mo had brought to life some time before, shows up and the adventure begins. Maggie and her father also appear in Inkspell, a 2005 sequel to Inkheart.

Amusante, oui? Of course, regular readers know how I feel about mysteries, so of course I shall be most likely skipping them in my snobby fashion, although if you were allowed to touch the books on my bedside table (must be negotiated with specific permission as my main rule of life is Don't Touch My Books, which is second only to Don't Move My Papers) you might find a John Dunning novel or two with his book dealing Cliff Janeway character...

No comments: