Friday, May 30, 2008

Pondering illustrations

One of my side projects with my interest in a critical biography of Carol Ryrie Brink and publishers' continued advertising her young adult novel as "true" is an analysis of how the illustrations of Caddie Woodlawn have evolved from the original illustrator up through today's jacket covers.

I was reminded by this in reviewing an ABEbooks newsletter that notes it is the centennial of the publication of Anne of Green Gables--a book interesting in itself in terms of analysis of its illustrations as well as a comparison with the illustrated and textual portrayal of North American girlhood.

I remind myself to begin to investigate why Clara Laughlin and her publisher chose to use illustrations rather than photographs in the 1924 SYGTP. Do her later works use photos or continue with illustrations? The much beloved 20 Centures of Paris by Mabell Shippie Clarke, published 1913, uses photographs.

No comments: